Friday, August 6, 2010

Baby Oskar

A lot has happened since my last post - the most noteworthy event being the birth of our son Oskar Juha. It's going to take a few posts to catch up on everything but I will start tonight with Oskar's birth story.

Four days after my last post I was admitted to the hospital following a really big bleed. I knew when I left for the hospital that I wouldn't be returning home. I spent two days being monitored in Labour and Delivery as I was contracting and bleeding. I was then moved to the maternal floor and was told that I would remain there on bedrest until Oskar was born. I continued to bleed and have sporadic contractions but was hopeful I could make it for a couple of more weeks. Bedrest sucked as did being away from Seija but I was doing all I could for Oskar and I was happy with that.

A week after I was admitted my water broke. I was devastated by this. During the eight weeks I was on bedrest, in Winnipeg and hospitalized I comforted myself with the fact that it wasn't the same thing as what happened with Oliver. But, as soon as my water broke it was like I was reliving my nightmare. I was quickly moved to Labour and Delivery and was monitored 24/7. They put me on antibiotics, gave me the sterroids for Oskar's lungs and said they wanted to wait at least 48 hours to allow the medication to work. I spent that 48 hours awake and watching the monitors, feeling as though I was waiting for his heart to stop beating.

When Sunday dawned I knew it was time for him to be born. I felt like my body was telling me to get him out, that he was no longer safe inside me. His heart still looked good on the monitor and the Dr. wanted to try for a few more days. I told him that I felt that was the wrong decision. He sent me for my 28th ultrasound and baby was no longer doing well, not moving anymore and within 30 minutes we were in the OR.

We were told that they may have to rush Oskar out of the room, that he may not cry and that we may not get to see him until much later. But, he cried!! It wasn't a loud cry but it was a cry. He also peed on my doctor and was pink and feisty. They showed him to us before they took him back to the NICU.

I will update later on Oskar's progress but I will tell you that he is doing well. He needed help breathing for two minutes and has been breathing on his own since. He is perfect and healthy but oh so tiny. Oskar was born on July 25 at 3:10 p.m. and weighed 3.5 pounds.

I know it is crazy to be happy to have a premature baby but I must say that given everything that has happened over the last two months I am positively thrilled that my baby boy is here on the outside being cared for by the best. I am sad that my body failed him but know I am blessed that he is here, he is alive and one day I will bring him home.

No comments:

Post a Comment